Kandy to Ella train ride is one of the most scenic train rides in Sri Lanka. You can stay in Kandy and get the train to Ella and enjoy the breathtaking views of lush tea plantations and hill country.
Since this Kandy to Ella train ride is very popular, I suggest you get tickets booked in advance. If you get 2nd Class tickets there is a chance to be seated and enjoy the view.
Kandy to Ella train ticket information
As I mentioned, book prior the journey to avoid disappointment. Railway official website is an easy way to book tickets online.
Tickets are priced around 1$ for this beautiful train ride! But if you want an air-conditioned closed train ride, go to Expo rail to book the luxury train. For me, it is kinda boring to sit in the closed train not able to enjoy the view clearly. Kandy to Ella train ride is a long journey up to 7 hours which are totally worth! But If you consider taking a break, get down from Nanuoya. It is the closest city to Nuwara Eliya AKA “Little England”. You can stay there and get a train the next day or day after from the same station.
Breathtaking scenery of Tea gardens
View from the train is amazing! Imagine you go through a huge green land with a blue sky covered in mist. We saw few waterfalls from far away as well. This railway track was built by British during colonial time. So still you can see some old world sculptures and buildings in the stations. And meeting hard working locals as well!
It was 7 hours journey and surprisingly you don’t get tired of seeing the lush tea plantations. Other than the tea estates you can enjoy the local perspectives in life all the way. Also, be prepared for tunnels and bridges and mountains covered in the mist!
Kandy to Ella Train is on your list?? Here are some tips!
- Get early to the railway station.
- Have some snacks and water with you.
- Hand sanitizer and toilet papers are a must!
- Keep the ticket with you all the time.
- You have to take a daytime train to enjoy the ride.
- Sit on the RIGHT side!
- The final one, don’t risk yourself to take a picture just hanging from one hand. I know you may have seen thousands of pictures like that on this Kandy to Ella train ride. but there can be tree branches or even you may fell down from the train! And also I don’t recommend sitting in the foot-board. If the train doesn’t stop by a platform there is a chance of getting hurt by hitting legs on that!
There are some areas that most travel bloggers don’t show you. But I do! enjoy this amazing train ride once you are in Sri Lanka, Its a must to do!
Read more>>Where to go in Ella